As expected, iOS 5 was released today. iOS 5 is a major upgrade which features a revamped notification system known as Notification Centre, a cross-platform messaging solution known as iMessage, a location-based reminders system known as Reminders, a system-wide Twitter integration and a subscription-based Newsstand. While it has more than 200 new features from iOS 4. Here’s how to upgrade to it.
- Update your iTunes to iTunes 10.5. You can do this by clicking iTunes on the top menu and select “Check for Updates“.
- Connect your device to your computer. Your device should appear on iTunes as a tab. Select it.
- Perform a backup beforehand by right clicking your device’s tab on the left bar and select “Back Up“, or Sync it directly, which is a more recommended way.
- After you have finished backing up or sync your device, click “Check for Update” on your device’s Summary tab. A pop-up box will appear, prompting you to either download and install the update, download the update only or cancel the progress. We recommend you to download and install directly. During this progress, everything is done automatically.
- iTunes will now download the IPSW off Apple’s server. This may take some time depending on your network connection. Just a side note, iOS 5’s firmware size is rather large compared to iOS 4 and below’s. However, all updates from now on are delta updates, which means that you will only download what is changed instead of the whole file.
- Once it has finished downloading, it will continue to the installation. As mentioned earlier, everything is done automatically. Installation normally takes between 5-15 minutes, depending on your device.
- Once you have finished installing, it will restore from the backup and restart your device automatically. After the restart, you will see a beautiful “Welcome” page with a few self-explanatory set-up pages.
- After you have set everything necessary, tada! Enjoy the all new iOS 5 on your device! 😉
iOS 5 Direct Download Links: